Inside Sales Tip: For Lead Routing, Skill-based Trumps Regional and Ad-Hoc
And I thought I’d quickly chime in.
In the actual Quora question, the person asks, “What’s the most effective way to route leads?”
One of the respondents immediately chimed in to say that simply doing it by region makes the most sense.
In our experience, this isn’t the case.
For outside sales teams (read: when the rep goes on site), regional divisions make sense to save travel costs.
However, if you’re not engaging in on-site sales practices (and let’s face it, even those who do spend 70+% of the time selling over the phone/remotely anyway), the net benefit of regional-based sales divisions is nil, and can actually be a detriment if you’re sending sales leads to reps who are unqualified to handle them, simply because the lead falls in the rep’s “region,” or because a manager wants to do it ad hoc just to make sure things are “fair.”
Skill-based and vertical-based routing has the highest net benefit in terms of lead qualifications and closes, because reps have a leg up in identifying true prospect needs and establishing a trust-based relationship. Regional routing can be appropriate, depending on other factors, but on a simple win/loss close ratio, it has no measurable impact on performance.
Top 20 Articles on www.KenKrogue.com
- What is Inside Sales? Our Definition of Inside Sales – 15,262 Views
- Inside Sales Best Practices – 1,445 Views
- Inside Sales Tips by Ken Krogue – 923 Views
- KPI – Key Performance Indicators – 822 Views
- Inside Sales versus Outside Sales – 489 Views
- Is Leaving a Voicemail Worthwhile? – 408 Views
- 6 Reasons Salesforce Users Need Hosted Dialer Technology – 370 Views
- Behind the Cloud – Ken’s Notes – 305 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – No Vacations Last Week of the Month – 275 Views
- Funny Inside Sales Videos – 247 Views
- Demand Generation Tactics and Strategy – 245 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – Skip to the Beep – 245 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – Interest is The Counterfeit of Need – 220 Views
- Inside Sales is Top Method of Lead Generation – 205 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – How LinkedIn Gives you 3 Free SEO Backlinks – 189 Views
- Inside Sales Training – 179 Views
- Marketing B2B 4 Quick Email Tips – 154 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – Specialize – 140 Views
- Leadscon East Vendors Need to Drink their Own Medicine – 133 Views
- What is Lead Response Management – 127 Views
Free Lead Resonse Management Study
Answer the question, “When should companies call Web-generated leads for optimal contact and qualification ratios?”
The post Inside Sales Tip: For Lead Routing, Skill-based Trumps Regional and Ad-Hoc appeared first on InsideSales.
- Xant Team